“Las Palmas Travel Network” may be a new scam tied to what’s going on at Coco Sunset Vacation Club (aka Bahia Turquesas)

7 of 7 Las Palmas Travel Network reviews

It appears that “Las Palmas Travel Network” (LPTN) may be a new scam connected to what’s going on at Coco Sunset Vacation Club (aka Bahia Turquesas).

Coco Sunset Vacation Club (aka Bahia Turquesas) in Costa Rica seems to be somehow related to “Las Palmas Travel Network” (LPTN). Here’s my experience, as well as the things I’ve learned about them over the past three days (August 17, 2013). You can decide for yourself if this appears to be a scam.

Here’s what happened:

My wife and I were initially reeled in by “Jock”, a lively Scotsman who’s turf is Playa Hermosa near the Condovac (a timeshare resort affiliated with RCI). We were turned over to “Matt” who qualified us over breakfast at the Café de la Playa (http://www.cafedeplaya.com/suites.html) in the town of Cocos. Matt took us up to the shark tank where we met sequentially with three other closers, who came at us with ever-decreasing packages for us to buy. We left (without buying), and were taken to the El Pueblito commercial center in Cocos where several timeshare companies have their offices (you’ll recognize the names: Coco Vacation Club, Bahia Turquesas (the new name for Coco Vacation Club as of March 2013), Miramar, and others). We thought we were done for the day and just needed to sign out at the Coco Adventures Travel Agency (which seems to be owned by Bahia Turquesas), but Matt handed us off to “Blake Lindsey”, who said he was with “Las Palmas Travel Network” (LPTN), and who had a “program” he wanted us to look at.

Here’s where the story gets interesting. The sound *** is that “Las Palmas Travel Network” doesn’t seem to exist, and there’s no way to reach them once you’re back home.

The LPTN “program” has two aspects: (1) It reimburses current timeshare owners for their Maintenance Fees (sounds too good to be true, right?). It refers to this as “Cash Exchange”. (2) It also has other travel booking benefits (some sound remarkably similar to RCI’s), as well as “guaranteed rates” for 1 BDR and 2BDRs at hotels and timeshare locations around the world, including Leading Hotels of the World. Example: 2 BDR at the Crillon in Paris for $545 for a week. Again, those room rates sound too good to be true.

Blake offered us membership in this program for $2,299, plus $249 annually (waived the first year). It looks like a no brainer, because it doesn’t take long before you break even on the maintenance fees that they reimburse you for. Six weeks after you sign up LPTN sends you a Welcome Package, which has details on how to get your MFs reimbursed, and how to book the travel deals.

Lured by the idea of getting our MF’s reimbursed we let Blake charge our Visa card. He gave us a flimsy looking contract (saying that’s all there is), and we left with mixed feelings. Then went online to do a little due diligence.

After doing some research, here’s what I’ve learned about LPTN:

Las Palmas Travel Network is invisible – and may not be real at all.

The green flier he showed us states that Las Palmas Travel Network been in business since 1993. But if you search for the company on Google you will find nothing. It’s my opinion that LPTN is a new scam.

According to the contract, LPTN’s website domain name is www.thelaspalmastravelnetwork.com. This domain name was purchased just 3 weeks ago, on July 9th, 2013, and only for a one year period. (Go to www.godaddy.com for details). There’s no website. It seems to me that an established ten year old company should have a website, especially in an industry that is short on credibility and trust.

Oddly, there is a website at: http://www.laspalmastravelnetwork.com/home/. But that’s not the url on the contract. And it’s a very skinny site, with almost no info on it.

Las Palmas Travel Network is unreachable.

It’s not possible to contact LPTN when you are back home in the States. So there is nothing you can do if your Welcome Package does not arrive.

Can’t reach by phone: The phone number on the contract is in Costa Rica: 506-2670 0357. You can never get through to this number – I tried eight times, at different times of day, over a three day period. There’s an outgoing message – in Spanish only – and unless you know the extension of the person you are calling, you cannot leave a message. Blake does not have an extension number. Why would a company that services Americans not have an outgoing message in English? And why can you never get through to a real person? Blake insisted you can get through, but you can’t.

Incidentally, this 506-2670 0357 is the exact same phone number that’s shown on www.Ripoffreport.com – for “Las Palmas VC Coco Sunset Vacation Club” (April 2013). http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Las-Palmas-VC/Playa-Del-Coco-Select-StateProvince-/Las-Palmas-VC-Coco-Sunset-Vacation-Club-I-was-not-shown-the-whole-contract-and-now-they-wi-1046671

Can’t reach by email: There’s an LPTN email address on the contract. But when I sent an email it bounced back. Here’s the error message: Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

Blake Lindsay did not provide his business card with contact info, nor did he have letterhead in his office. When pressed for the addresses of the Call Center and the company’s HQ in the USA, I was given two handwritten addresses from a torn off yellow legal pad. The addresses seem to be bogus:

It turns out that 804 Pine Avenue, Carlsbad, CA 92008 is a house in a residential district. 7690 West Cheyenne, Las Vegas, NV is the office of HSI (Holiday Systems International). LPTN does not have a business relationship with HSI and is not listed at that address.

Blake’s office is in the El Pueblito shopping center – a small room immediately adjoining the “Coco Adventures” travel agency, which is where they finally sign you out after your timeshare presentation. Blake did not volunteer this but you might be able to get to him (and to Coco Sunset Vacation Club aka Bahia Turquesas and “Las Palmas Travel Network” through the travel agency. Here’s their email and website: carolina@cocoadventures.com, and http://bahiaturquesaresidences.com/cocoadventures.html.

Not affiliated with Carnival.

Blake said that LPTN was “a part of” Carnival Cruise Lines. The term “part of” suggests that it’s a subsidiary. But according to Hoovers it’s not. When I called Carnival’s Trade engagement department (on 800-327-7276) they said they have no ownership of or affiliation with LPTN. In fact they had not heard of it.

Unclear business relationship between LPTN and RCI – if any

I went online to see if the credit card purchase had posted. It had. The vendor name was Las Palmas VC. But the confusing thing is that the phone number associated with it is 619-683-7440. That number belongs to RCI – not LPTN. So, I wonder – did I purchase something from LPTN – or from RCI? Why is LPTN using RCI as its credit card vendor?

The benefits listed on the contract are RCI benefits. The only difference is the “World Famous Cash Exchange Program”.

The “World Famous Cash Exchange Program” sounds too good to be true

If LPTN has been around for 10 years, and since timeshare owners are desperately looking for a way to not have to pay Maintenance Fees on timeshares they can’t use, how can it be that this truly incredible program is not known, or publicized – and why the black box?

Who is Blake Lindsey?

Just for fun take a look at Blake Lindsey’s profile on LinkedIn: cr.linkedin.com/pub/blake-lindsey/52/ab/309. None of this inspires confidence.

Related posts:

There are several forums discussing what’s going on at Coco Sunset Vacation Club (aka Bahia Turquesas). I don’t know, but it appears that LPTN is a new scam.

So where are we?

Can someone please post a reply so we all know the status? Thank you, all.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
7 of 7 Las Palmas Travel Network reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 06, 2014 #769430

If you are scammed, report to FBI:

Shuping

Jan 06, 2014 #769426 New York, New York, United States

I bought a fractional ownership at Miramar Residence Club (aka Coco Sunset Club, Playas de las Palmas, now Baiha Turquesa Residence) in April 2012. They had me signed a rental contract with a company called Omnicorp Development. The person who represents Omnicorp Development was Douglas Jensen. I was supposed to start receiving my rental income 475 days later. But I have not seen a penny coming my way, now about 600 days has passed.

Playas de las Palmas still tries to collect maintenance fees. I called them questioning about the rental income. They said they didn't know anything about it and it was my responsibility that I signed the rental contract with Omnicorp. I tried to call Ominicorp. The telephone line did not exist. According to the business report online, the company does not even exist. Did Playas de las Palmas not know that Omnicorp was a fraud when they had Omnicorp's representative sign the contract with me?

Playas de las Palmas scammed your money, lured you to a too-good-to-be-true profit that was promised to you by a made-up company. How clever!

I would like Playas de las Palmas (or IPTN) to expalin it to all of us here. And you are welcome to contact me at shupinglu10003@gmail.com.

If there is any legal action forming to reclaim our loss, please count me in.

happy timeshare owner

Nov 10, 2013 #740390

:roll it seems that there are many happy owners so why the fuss

Nov 12, 2013 #741311 Oakland, California, United States

Dear reader: If you too have been scammed, you can file a ‘Dispute’ with your credit card company. My case just got resolved and the credit card company (Visa) just credited my account in full. Visa’s Fraud Department researched the transaction and determined that it is in fact a scam, so I got my money back, and Las Palmas Travel Network got nothing except a 100% chargeback and a disappointed scam artist (sorry, Blake!). Perhaps he’ll barely notice – I’m sure he’s busy working on new suckers every day …
You, the consumer, must call your credit card company to file the Dispute with within 118 days from the date of your transaction. They’ll put a temporary credit on your account (so you don’t have to pay it). Then after they research and find that Las Palmas Travel Network is a scam, they’ll convert it to a permanent credit.
And yet, there are ‘so many happy customers’ you say. Hmmm. Why do I not believe “Happy Customer” with his non-factual one liner?

Skiiny

Nov 06, 2013 #738703

Yep it is a scam. They opened an credit card and spent 4,800. We were told it was 5000 for letting them use our weeks. What a laugh. They have us on this and will pay it off.

Nov 06, 2013 #738717 Oakland, California, United States

Hi Skiiny ... Thanks for posting.
Do you have any other responses to the threads below? It'd help everyone out if you do!
What will you do now?

had fun anyway

Sep 10, 2013 #714816

We were also just in Playa del Coco,Costa Rica (8/2013), went through the free-lunch screening process, then to the "shark tank" for a variety of "deals." The deals kept getting lower and lower, on a yellow-lined legal pad. There were 2 hard pushes at closing the deal. We did not buy anything. Then we were scurried off to a room adjacent to a local agency that offers tourist packages. That is where we met Brent Welch. When we got back to our house, I googled him:

We went back the next day to ask a few more questions and met Blake. He doesn't think quickly on his feet.

I also googled the websites that were listed on the folder and on the "contract."

Both of the above sites are *** sites. They both list the same contact information, and both display the same video tease. The 1-800 contact information gets you to a telephone menu that goes no where. The numbers it says to push for help with booking, or for checking out the supposed "hot list" - not valid extentions.

While in Costa Rica, I called the local numbers on the "contract." They didn't connect to people...tried various times of day.

Now, if you google las palmas travel network, you will find brand new postings, raving about the company. The New

Sep 24, 2013 #721233 Oakland, California, United States

Hello "Had Fun Anyway", There's an extensive thread about Las Palmas Travel Network on www.ripoffreport.com - take a look at report number 1076771. LPTN still hasn't responded to several really awkward questions about its legitimacy. The sudden flurry of LPTN damage control press releases on Sept 3rd was short lived -- three releases in three days, and nothing before or after that. The Brent Welch mugshot is an interesting new twist... So that's the same Brent Welch that you met in person, right? Why am I not surprised?

John And Mary

Aug 31, 2013 #709679

My family and I stayed at Bahia Turquesa in Playas del Coco in February of 2013. We went on the sales presentation and they told us they would be able to sell our timeshare in Kissimee, Florida. We were thrilled with the price they had offered and were honestly quite skeptical that we would ever receive the money. It just seemed to good to be true. However, we decided to take a leap of faith and invest in Bahia Turquesa and switch from Interval to the Las Palmas Travel Network. Let me tell you sitting in New York almost 7 months later that this is the best decision we have ever made. Our timeshare was successfully liquidated and the Las Palmas Travel Network is a dream compared to Interval International. No exchange fees, no mandatory maintenance fees. If we use it we pay for the weeks, if not, we pay nothing. My wife and the kids stayed at the Four Seasons in London at Park Lane in July for a week. It was absolutely spectacular and at a fraction of the cost with LPTN. Believe me, we felt the same way as the other posts I'm reading here. However, some 7 months later we now know that our fears were unfounded and that the sales person who in our case was Todd Deen was completely forthcoming. We are going back to Costa Rica in November with a bottle of champagne to say thank you. We were a little amazed by the posts we had read here and wanted to share a different experience with you. Maybe you didn't give it a chance to work?

Pat

Oct 28, 2013 #734417

Right- how come you are the only ones enjoying. Are you part of the scam???

Mar 30 #1136364

John and Mary:
Your message is different and we have been really scared by all the negativity and are almost ready to go to Visa and scream fraud. We bought significantly in Jan 2016. Your outcome is what we pray for. Selling high end Hilton products and buying 8 weeks at Las Palmas.
Is there anything else you can share with us.
Scared stiff
Wayne and Claire

concerned citizen

Aug 31, 2013 #709599

I have also had experience dealing with the Las Palmas Travel Network ,BAhia Turquesa, Las Palmas CR, Sharing SA, and several other related entities. Unfortunately , I too had a terrible experience with the sales peole and administrative people associated with these entities. I went with my family on a timeshare exchange to Playas de Coco and stayed at the BAhia Tequesa Residences . During our check in I should have realised something was not right when the first questions they asked was the occupations of my spouse and me. I have had timeshare for over 10 yeears and never have been asked this question by someone checking us in. Next after checking us in they told us they needed a $20 deposit for the check in process that would be refunded. I gave them this feeling a little uncomfortable as they had already taken a copy of my credit card for incidental expenses or damages , etc. After the check in process I asked what the $20 was needed for , They then told me that they had booked us for a presentation at a Breakfast on the following morning to tell us more about the place. I realised that this was a sales presentation and was a little purturbed by the heavy handed way this was done. I should have been more alert to this. I was on vacation feeling happy , so decided to let this go.

At the sales presentation , I too was exposed to several decreasing packages until they told us that they would purchase our timeshare at a price more than we paid for it, on top of

memberservicesLPTN

Aug 23, 2013 #705494

The point of view and information here is only one sided, and it follows the conspiracy theory that has been unsupported and incorrectly followed in the past, even that some information here is right, it is presented in a negative way and with false premises, linking a legitimate business with false accusations.
We don’t want everybody that reads this answer to understand that we do not appreciate the efforts that the consumers put into this, unfortunately it falls in the conspiracy theories around Playas del Coco, that has been correctly answered through legal channels in the past.
To be anonymous allows anybody to write anything they want, whether it is true or not, and it helps to impact in a wrong way. Most of this type of irresponsible complaints also damages a whole industry, business and persons that believe in this and that have supported it correctly.
We are not seeking compensatory damages or to prevent anybody to put their efforts into this, but if you want to clarify your investigation or add the truth to all these facts, we invite you or anybody that would like to do it through the correct channels, please contact us with your questions at the email memberservices@laspalmastravelnetwork.com.

0 1 Reply

Sep 01, 2013 #710169 Oakland, California, United States

September 1, 2013

In the Spirit of Transparency – Las Palmas Travel Network

This report is about the Las Palmas Travel Network (LPTN) and its relationship to Coco Sunset Vacation Club (aka Bahia Turquesas). This report is not about the Playas del Coco area in general.
I’m simply sharing my personal experience with LPTN. I invite other troubled readers to do their own due diligence (e.g., look up LPTN on Google, check the links in my original post, call the phone numbers), come to their own conclusions, and publish what they have learned.
In the spirit of transparency, let’s keep the discussion open for viewing. If everything about LPTN is legitimate, and there’s nothing to hide, it should all work out fine.
To encourage transparency, I’d like to give an opportunity to LPTN to “set the record straight” and to reassure those of us who are skeptical, by responding to these questions. This kind of info should be publicly available anyway:
1. What’s the headquarters address and phone number for LPTN?
2. Who is LPTN’s President/CEO?
3. When I told Blake Lindsay I could not get through to the phone or email address on the contract, and asked him if there was any alternative contact info he said “No”. So where does this new address come from: memberservices@thelaspalmastravelnetwork.com?
4. What is LPTN’s business relationship with Carnival Cruise Lines?
5. What is LPTN’s business relationship

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Las Palmas Travel Network. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Las Palmas Travel Network.
Filing a new complaint about
×